Wednesday, December 30, 2009

(365) Day One - One Day

A sheet of snow silhouetted the trees and valley floor tonight. Seeing the flurry drift past the office window I hoped that I might circumvent the traffic by staying late, but by half after six I could not force myself to work any longer.


Driving in snow is an art, but driving around panicked drivers is a practice in patience. By the time I battled sno-mageddon, ate dinner with the family and celebrated Christmas round 3 the evening had flow by. Eleven-eleven and here I write in the warm confines of my house accompanied by my cute fuzzy gray cat nestled to her comfort (and my discomfort) on my lap.


So despite my best intentions to bring in day one with a shower of creativity the most I was able to muster was to add some design to the site. I chose a simple palate of soothing greens and blues. I wanted to ensure that reading would be easy on the eyes (not to mention I tend to favor these colors). Choosing a picture was not quite as easy. After sifting through my many adventures I decided upon a simple picture taken at the Newport Aquarium last spring.


Vibrant colors come alive as majestic creatures rhythmic movements fascinate those who are able to catch a glimpse. The vast depths of unexplored caverns possess hidden treasures waiting to be discovered. All the while the ocean puts forward a soothing calm that can come crashing in at any moment. To me the ocean is full of mystery and passion; in essence it encapsulates many of the same emotions feel about creativity.


~~~

I remember the trip fondly. We headed to Newport to relax in a beach cabin and celebrate a friend’s college graduation. The weather was tumultuous (to be expected on the Northwest coast in March). The group was cabin bound and starting to become restless. The guys had started to be silly an play around with random decorative objects that lay around the house. As they simulated battle of the birds I suggested making a film.


Hundreds of still frame images later is the result of two grown men cooped up in a cabin. In tribute to their debut stop animation venture I present to you Awesome Pirate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIup5SqsnG8

No comments: