Monday, January 24, 2011

(240) Stopping to Breath

Several mornings while driving into work I made a promise to myself to spend the first few minutes of the day writing about the beauty I was admiring on my drive. A daily inspirational moment to replenish my soul.

I didn't notice at the time, but looking back I realize the closer I got to work how my anxiety increased. My mind became clouded by nervous thoughts about the upcoming day. What fire would I put out today? Did I get everything I needed to done? Had I over looked an email? I was overwhelmed by the sheer thought of getting out of my car. It was not until the sun had set and I was on my return home that I remembered again the beauty of the morning.

Driving in the morning sun rising over Mount Hood the sky was vibrant pink and orange. It was eerily clear and quiet. Something about the serene day as I drove out Highway 84 East made me feel glad to be alive. There was really no specific reason why, but it was somehow euphoric. As the antagonist in my head inserted a remember that my father was no longer alive, I realized how lucky I am to see this beautiful morning. How fortunate I am to have found such a wonderful husband and despite all the little anxieties that life has to bring, how much more I should savor every moment, every second, every day of this life.

A few weeks later again these emotions found themselves emerging in my mind. This morning had an entirely different feel. A picture is worth a thousand words, it is the thought that were invoked in my mind that left their presence remembered. Fog saturated damp air misted its way around the darkly silhouetted trees. Light illuminated through the morning sending rays through the black silhouette surrounds. Sometimes the world is full of so much wonder.

Sure enough as soon as I parked and jaunted to the office door (managing to avoid the front entrance welcome by entering through the back loading dock technician entrance) the adrenaline hit, the phone flashing, email overloaded, and questions, no wonder I forgot to stay true to my word to myself.

Every so often I think it is good to stop and remember those things that do inspire us.

No comments: