Friday, March 12, 2010

(323) Story - The Lady in a Bonnet

Today I am home with swollen tonsils and an ear ache and trying to fill the time with low stress activities so I can at last get over the culture that has consumed my sinuses and been lingering for what seems like an eternity. I have paranormal on my mind as last night before going to sleep I was reading about Old Town Pizza and the apparition that is seen walking the old Merchant Hotel. Below is a picture of the Merchant Hotel once part of Portland's Japantown (today referred to as Chinatown - on a side bar while searching for this image of Japantown I came across a wonderful blog on Portland History Cafe Unknown ):


Paranormal activity, despite being a term now compromised by Hollywood, describes experiences that are not with the realm what can be explained by science. Though evidence, facts, and observations have been gathered over the years, it is unclear to humans how to comprehended and translate these bits of data.


I am a rather skeptical scientific minded person when it comes to empirical data, but it seems to me there are still many things about the mysterious uncategorical experiences that have truly fascinated me through my life. Perhaps it just takes that one experience to make you a believer, especially when the experience is such an outlier from the normal spectrum of daily life. Here is my experience...take it or leave it, but it has made me a believer for life. And be it coincidence, fact, or some other blended line of truth therein, it defiantly shaped my beliefs on the paranormal world.


When I was young my family lived in Hollywood, California. My parents bought the Cobb house, inherited by my grandmother and her siblings (Priscilla and David). The white house on Harvard Boulevard.


Cobb is my grandmother's maiden name. She and her family lived in this house after they moved out west from Boston where my great grandfather, Oscar Cobb, had made a name for himself in architecture.


The house had been built by my great uncle Billy, though it is unclear which side of the family he was from...probably the Cobb side. And though I do not believe I ever personally met my uncle Billy, my father was named after him. The has was join by a shop that my grandfather (Oscar) had used to run a fencing company from. And my grandmother was a French teacher.


To date I still have some of the books from the library, including some of the French readers. Though I was young and only lived there the first years of my life up until I was just about 5 years old I have extremely vivid memories of the house.


There is a night that still stands out in my dreams. It is one of those strange events that I cannot tell if it is a memory or dream, but it has been something constant since my childhood.


I open my eyes and wake in the middle of the night to the sounds of footsteps on the creaky floorboards. The steps stop outside my bedroom and I lose track for a moment as I look at the aquarium. Cast in a gentle glow from the low of the aquarium I try to get my balance. I think for a moment it is my Mom so I search the room and for her figure, but only see a reflection of myself (in the aquarium). I am young and in a crib, but it is definitely my face.


I hear the noises start again, but they become deep and more intense as they start to get closer. The sounds are predominant a very low guttural sound like chanting in an unfamiliar language (like monks chanting).


I start to get scarred as the noises near my door and it sounds like an animal is pacing in the hall (thinking back this was probably my dog Bear). I feel a sudden chill as my body responds to a change in pressure in the room. I realize I am not alone and hear the rhythmic rocking chair near me.


I am paralyzed in the crib as I look in the chair and see a whitish green apparition. I can tell she is female with a bonnet. I can't see her face and keep trying to look. I start to cry and hear a "shhhhhhhhh" sound as she raises her hand to her mouth. The sounds in the hall stop and she points to the wall. Hung above are pictures of trains in gold and black. The pictures come to life. It is like the trains are a silent film. I am watching them so intently that I barely realize I am now laying back down. My eyes grow heavy and I am almost hypnotized by the trains. I hear the steady rocking and that is the last thing I remember.

In my mind she was a silent Shaker or Quaker and I could feel her presence by me often. I think the lady in the bonnet followed me through my childhood. There are a series of nights I have amassed together in my memories that have become one very long night. Perhaps some may call it an imaginary friend or over imagination, but it seemed very real to me (not to mention I am really not sure why a child wold make up that kind of imaginary friend, I mean a lady in a bonnet screams a hoot-in-hollerin' time). I really think I tapped into something outside of the norm that really could not have been explained scientifically.

Though over the years I have begun to ignore the premonitions I am an even more skeptical adult. Sometimes I wonder if she is still here today at times, but I ignore and write off strange things as coincidences.

I wonder who she is and why she latched on to me and has protected me. Maybe I do have a guardian angel after all. And through I am not a spiritual person this makes my mind wonder what more is out there.

No comments: