Sunday, March 7, 2010

(325) Fantasy Seascape Oil #2

Tonight's topic was seascape fantasy.

Here is the set of tools we set out with: a knife, fan, line, filbert, a pair of 1 inch brushes and a duster. There was also a neat little tool used to remove paint (which I can't remember the name of on the far right).


We started by separating the horizon by marking equal sides of the canvas and putting tape across. Then we dampened the canvas with liquid white all over and added the blue sky. The fluffy clouds were a blend of the Prussian blue and crimson red. Using the filbert brush you pluck the sky with the formation of clouds. Then you go back over the top in a swirl motion with the fan or filbert and lastly blend with the 1 inch corner by tapping the canvas.

It was good practice, but I needed to spend some more time to get my clouds more depth (they look a little sad). I think it was the combination of the lack of paint and layering. So clouds might be a good subject for my next painting (my clouds did not look as happy as I would have liked).


After the sky peel back the tap and follow the straight line on the horizon with the blue water line then move down the canvas to a greener tone and then a sandy toned beach. Again the 1 inch larger brushes work great for blending any transforming colors. Then add the waves with the fine line...remember waves come in at an angle. Use the fan and stoked the waves upward at an angle to get the misty effect. Try to get a fairly similar angle to keep the waves looking realistic. A couple blended smudges of brown with highlights and you have a simple ocean scene. For effect I threw three birds in the image.


Though maybe the sign of being super critical of myself. The painting did not turn out quiet how I wanted, but none-the-less it was good practice. Maybe someday I will have a seascape that I like and that would be a seascape fantasy.

It is interesting to see how different artists approach the same subject. So it will be neat to see as my mother and I take the classes how each of our paintings evolve on the same subject. Watching the class evolve together is an experience all unto itself.

No comments: