Thursday, March 18, 2010

(320) A Walk In the Park

Though this week has been fairly void of creativity, it has been packed with excitement. Originally I had planned to work at the glass studio this evening, but instead I decided to enjoy the absolutely beautiful weather. The early spring treat brought sunshine and cast a halo around the city. People walking down the street could barely contain their smiles.

Our evening began much like any other as we stumbled listlessly through the options for dinner. Inevitably with the kitchen remodel still underway we headed out to dinner. Simple sounded delicious and so we chose a Mexican restaurant in downtown Milwaukie. We savored the morsels of dinner over normal daily chat.

Walking out into the early evening Greg recommended heading down to the waterfront for a walk. This was a little out of the norm so it set a happy flag off in my head. Unfortunately the park was not quite as we anticipated. When we arrived it was overwhelmed with loud geese (not to mention the mess that accompanies geese and ducks) and people consuming the only spots to sit and enjoy the sunset. With nowhere to sit plus a scenic sewage treatment plant in the background I looked up at Greg with a questioning look. He decided perhaps we should go to a different park and enjoy the last moments of sunlight.

We decided upon a nearby park in Sellwood (near Oaks Park). Cutting across the park grass I tried to ignore the squishy sounds the lawn made as we sunk into the mud. Luckily we hit the trail pretty quickly and out of the corner of my eye I noticed Greg fiddling with something…

I tried to contain my smile, but I was pretty sure I knew what was coming as we walked along the water. We found a picnic table and sat down to enjoy the sunset. Greg offered me some mints (several times) and I was half paying attention as I watched the water drift by when he handed me the tic-tac box. Shaking it up and down nothing came out it took a moment to realize the candy sounded a little different. When I looked down there in the tic-tacs was a ring.

I smiled (and am a little ashamed) the first words I said were “thank you, I love it!” I put on the shiny ring and kissed him as he smiled back and said, “well I guess I should do this right and ask you the question." He got down on both knees and held my hands and asked, “Will you marry me?”

“Yes of course, I love you!" After a slight pause in normal Amber fasion I inserted a hint of sarcasim "though perhaps I should try it on for size and make you wait for an answer since you made me wait for so long." We laughed, I cried, and together we hugged one another until the sun went down.

As night crept in a lurking dog with strange red eyes and drool that looked somewhat frothy dripping from his mouth began to circle us. I made a joke that we should make a smooth exit before we needed rabies shots (as this would be just my luck). We made our escape, practically skipping from the park, and set out to start the rounds and share our good news with friends and family.

And so it was...Amber and Greg are engaged.

No comments: