Thursday, May 20, 2010

(301) Daily Routine

Dark the clouds forebode the road ahead fogging my already hazy mind as I drive through the drenched morning. Sheets of the liquid sunshine glistening on the road making the dark day glare brightly on the pavement. I view the world through squinted eyes making my head pound in the rhythmic beat of the morning ritual.


Somehow I am not surprised that the bridge is up. I stop and wait in the drowning traffic. Above head hail began to thunder over hitting the car with a hollow metallic sound (like the old Hollywood movies). Water everywhere and yet all I want is a drink to quench my parched dessert of a mouth.


I follow the traffic like sand through a funnel and end up in the heaping pile at the traffic light. Time is signaling us with green lights to move ahead. Turning I pause to wait for the robotic arm of the parking garage to systematically alert me that I may begin my assent. Turning repetitively, making my stomach slightly woozy, at last I find my numbered space.


Down, up the next the elevators moves me further nauseating my stomach as I come to realize I am yet again at my cube. So my day begins as my day. I try to jump start my mind as it begins to hook into the matrix of my office. I look for patterns and construct systems to simplify life.


Strange, the irony of it all is that I find it hard to fathom how some systems make our lives easier, rather more systematic so that we are fit into the larger system. Instead of critical thinking and building our own interesting system we are taught to leave the thinking to the managers and everything else lands on our desk.


Has creativity been lost? Creativity is not merely an artistic expression it is provoking thoughts…it is the artisan ship used to create and share ideas. It can take form in endless mediums across many disciplines. It invokes discussion, motivates change, and charges people with energy – passion!


Is all the focus on process, consistency, and efficiency in the world systematically erasing free thought and creativity?

No comments: