Saturday, May 1, 2010

(307) New Interior Piece

Time has been slim lately, but I always seem to find time to step into a could estate sales and antique stores. I should have known better!

Recently I have been on the hunt for some treasures:
* Sewing Box
* Lane Chest
* Barrister
* Artist Cabinet
* Cake Knife

A piece had enchanted me several weeks ago, so when Sharron came up to visit (for the Food Cart Festival) and mentioned wanting to go to some antique stores, I rose at the occasion for another glimpse of the mysterious item at Bernadette Breu's.

Sure enough as we walked through the door, there in the in the corner stood the bronze Art Deco shelves enclosed in beveled glass. The beauty stands about five feet tall with geometric floral designs (as was the style back then).


Needless to say I wanted to add the unique piece to my collection. I had visited the piece several times and done the math, but the practical side of me said to wait. This time on our visit, however, out of the corner of my eye I saw a sign dangling down. My heart sunk as I thought the most incredible piece had found an alternate home. To my surprise I found that the piece had been marked down (30% off)! And so it was that the shelves found there way instead to my home.

I asked Bernadette where she had acquired the piece and she proceeded to fill in the details of a woman who had sold her the piece. Apparently the woman had used the shelves as a cocktail bar and originally she had saved them from a remodel in a mausoleum. The beautiful piece was inset in the wall at housed urns. Though she did not know exactly which mausoleum in specific, none-the-less an intriguing story.

My newest addition:

No comments: