Saturday, November 13, 2010

(269-267) Quilling

While at the craft store this week picking up supplies to create baby shower invites, I came across a beginners kit for quilling. The patterns looked interesting and I am a sucker when it comes to trying new things, so I picked up the set.

Quilling, also known as paper filligree, is a form or art that uses paper (in strips) as its main medium. The artist uses a quill to coil the paper around and then shapes the paper in different forms. This has been around for many thousands of years and was quiet popular during the Victorian era.

Saturday when playing passenger on the drive to Eugene I did my first quilled creations. My first attempt was a dragon fly and followed it with a duck:











I love how quickly you can see results with this form or art. It is fairly easy and opens the mind for a ton of creative options on what to apply the filigree work to. On the down side that the gluing is a bit messy (but nothing permanent as the glue can be easily cleaned). Paper is inexpensive and the strips could be created on your own if you were really ambitious. Most of all, the technique is surprisingly relaxing.

Sunday on our drive back up to have dinner with the Glennons, I made a snowflake ornament for Barb:















Now I am waiting on a book I ordered on Amazon "The Art of Paper Quilling" to by Claire Sun-ok Choi to arrive so I can read more about different techniques.

No comments: