Sunday, January 17, 2010

(349) Glass Bead Making

Today was my first experience working with a torch to make glass beads. My mother and I took the Intro to bead making class at Aquila Glass School.

It was a really interesting process and I think I will enjoy learning to master the art a bit more.

To make glass beads you use a torch that feeds gas and oxygen (under a hood helps). You heat glass with the torch along with a mandrill with bead release. It takes a steady hand and even manipulation of the glass and rod.

The beads need to cool at an ever temperature so they do not crack. So once they begin to set they are put into a vat (Frye Daddy) with moisture pellets (used for flowers, I don't remember what they are called starts with a V...).

Once the beads are done they must anneal in a kiln to set the glass (the temperature depends on the glass you use). Today we used Bullseye Glass.

I should have the beads back in a week (pending the first batch does not crack) and photos to follow.

Next I think I might sign up for another follow up intermediate class after heading back in to practice a bit more. I would also like to work my way up to taking the Borosilicate series.

No comments: